Friday 13 April 2007

Cheques


Attached is a list of four cheques Pepe asked me to counter sign.

Naturally I asked him what they were for, and asked to see the invoices. So far Pepe has not produced the invoices as requested. I hope to be able to post copies of them soon.

The first cheque is, according to Pepe, for electrical work.

The second and third cheques, (not yet dated) are for the installation of the second Wet Room by Juan Muñez. This is in what was Shower Block 2, this is against the wishes of the Committee who voted for it to be in Shower Block 4 at the bottom of the Park.

The fourth cheque is to pay the Suma (rates) which are levied by the Town Hall for plots which do not have an Escritura, or for plots which do have an Escritura but whose Owners are not paying the Suma.

You will notice all the cheques are marked Al Portador (cash), I am very unhappy about this.

It is a perfectly valid question to ask.. If I am so unhappy about this situation why do I sign them ? I am in somewhat of a cleft stick in this situation, if I refuse to sign these cheques, Pepe will just go to Shelagh Shaw, as the Secretary to sign them. If he does this, I will not get to know what is going on, and therefore will not be able report these things to you here. I am hoping the Committee will tell Pepe that no cheques will be signed for work not authorised by the Committee, and except in certain special circumstances; no cheques should be made out Al Portador. Whether we succeed in this remains to be seen.

There seems no reason why these cheques should not be written in the names of the people receiving them. I leave you to draw your own conclusions regarding why cheques are written Al Portador.

You will also notice cheques two and three are for identical amounts Euro 2975.00. This has happened before, as in the payment for the transformer repairs. An Owner recently sent me an email asking the reason for this. The explanation is as follows:-
Any single payment in, withdrawal, or cheque cashed for more than Euro 2999.00 in a single day has to be reported by the Bank to Hacienda (the Taxman). Cheques for Euro 3001.00 are very rarely seen !!

No comments: